Monday, August 1, 2011

The Longest Day. 1 Ramadan 1432

This year (and of course often!) the first day of Ramadan was the longest, with the fast scheduled from 4:10am to 8:15pm.   My first alarm was set for 3:50 so that I could take Sahoor, the pre-dawn meal.  Stumbled to the kitchen, ate leftovers, and stumbled back to bed without praying.  Shame on me.

The day was a wash for praying.

But the hunger through the day made my mind soft and pliable, and that's not a bad thing.  In practicing the banjo before this evening's lesson, I had sufficient patience to review tricky measures over and over.  I wasn't antsy, frustrated, or annoyed.    And the lesson went well.   But it ran from 8-8:30pm, 15 minutes past the prescribed time to break the fast.  I tossed back a few dates and drove home to make dinner.
It was said to Imam AhmadDoes a man find any softness and humility in his heart when he is full? 
He said, I do not think so.
Tomorrow, there will be four fewer minutes to fast.  And I will try to pray.

No comments: